You may require a visa to enter the UK for a wide variety of different purposes – from travel and leisure to business and study.
In terms of types of visas, there is a short term visitor visa which allows you to enter the UK for up to 6 months. Aside from this, there are also 2, 5 and 10 year UK multiple entry visas available for those who want to visit the UK on a regular basis.
New UK standard visitor visa
A visitor visa allows you to travel to the UK for up to 6 months – after this period, you must leave the UK. A standard visitor visa allows you travel for:
- Leisure purposes, like visiting for a holiday or to see your family and friends in the UK
- Business purposes or to take part in sports or creative events
- Other reasons, like receiving private medical treatment in the UK
Previously, there were separate visitor visas for particular purposes. These have now been replaced by one single visa known as the UK standard visitor visa. This acts as a UK multiple entry visa, and has replaced the following types of visitor visas:
- Family Visitor visa
- Child Visitor
- General Visitor visa
- Sport Visitor visa
- Business Visitor visa
- Entertainer Visitor visa
- Prospective Entrepreneur visa
- Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa
- Approved Destination Status (ADS) visa
UK multiple entry visitor visa rules
As mentioned, one standard visitor visa has replaced previous visas for different purposes. However, rules vary according to the purpose of your coming to the UK, although the eligibility rules remain the same. When you apply for a multiple entry standard visitor visa, you must show the following:
- You will leave UK once your visit is completed
- You are able to support yourself and dependents (if any) for the complete duration of your trip
- You can pay for your return trip or onward journey and all the other costs related to your visit
- You present the proof of your business activities – or any other activities – you want to undertake in the UK
There are also activities that are not permitted when you enter the UK under a standard visitor visa. For example, you cannot do any work (whether this is paid or unpaid), you cannot have access to public funds (like benefits) and you can’t marry or register a civil partnership.
How to apply for a multiple entry visa?
You can apply for a visit visa by making an application from outside the UK. You must do the following when applying:
- You must complete the online application process
- You must pay any fee that applies
- You must provide your biometric information (if required to do so)
- You must also provide a valid travel document
If there is no online application process available, you must follow the instructions provided by the local visa post or application centre on how you can make an application.
Other types of visit visas
Other than the new standard visitor visa, there are other types of visitor visa routes depending upon the purpose of your visit. For example, a marriage or civil partnership visa allows you to enter the UK for 6 months, a permitted paid engagement visa allows you to enter the UK for 1 month, and a UK transit visa is valid for up to 48 hours.
Within the period for which the visit visa is valid, you – as a visitor – may enter and leave the UK multiple times, unless the visit visa is endorsed as a single- or dual-entry visa.
For more information of UK multiple entry visa rules or to apply for a UK visa, get in touch with us today.