UK Fiance Visa
The UK Fiancé Visa - also known as a prospective marriage visa - allows the applicants to bring their fiancée to the UK, provided that their fiancé or partner is a person holding Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK or holds British Citizenship. Some people also refer to this as an Engagement Visa or proposed civil partnership Visa. A UK Fiancé Visa allows you to come to the UK and get married. After Arrival, you can extend your stay in the UK.
Eligible applicants are given permission to enter the UK in order to marry their partner or fiancé within 6 months. After the marriage, the husband or wife can apply for a Spousal Visa for grant of further leave to remain in the UK. After completion of 5 years’ continuous stay on a spouse visa, the applicants become eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.
Eligibility for a Fiancé Visa
Since the UK fiancée, visa requirements are quite similar to that of the Spouse visa, the applicants have the choice to apply for the Fiancée visa or marry first in order to apply directly for UK spousal visa. In this case, the applicant can avoid the necessity of making two separate applications.
If the fiancé has any children from previous relationships, the children can apply to come with the fiancé provided they have sole custody of the child.
The prerequisites to apply for the Fiancée visa are:
- The partners in relation must be above 18 years of age
- They must have met and known to each other prior to application and have the intention to permanently live together after marriage
- Any previous relationships of the couple at the time of application must have ended
- The couple should prove that they have appropriate accommodation
- The applicant should prove that the couple has sufficient funds to support themselves and their dependents, without any public funds
- In the case of a non-EU National, the sponsoring person is required to meet the income threshold of £18,600. There is a higher threshold in case any children (who are under 18 years of age) also required to be sponsored and the requirement is £22,400 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each child thereafter
- The couple must have suitable accommodation available to them. The fiancé visa is valid only for 6 months and within that period the couple must marry in the UK else the foreign national will have to leave the UK.
Financial Requirements for a UK Fiancée Visa
The sponsors settled in the UK, may meet the threshold of the financial requirement as applicable through employment, self-employment, cash savings, director of a company or rental income, etc.
Each category has a specific set of documents which need to be submitted with the application:
- Permissible sources of income/savings; and
- the time periods and permitted combinations of sources applicable to each permitted source relied upon; and
- Reliable evidence for each permitted source.
Exceptions to UK Fiancée Visa Financial Requirements
If the sponsor is receiving any of the following allowances or concessions, then the applicants are exempted from meeting the above financial requirement:
- Carer's Allowance
- Attendance Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
- Personal Independence Payment
Children who are under 18 years of age are permitted to accompany their parent (i.e. Fiancé visa holders) to the UK
Immediately after the marriage, the Fiancé visa holders should apply for the Marriage visa so that they become eligible to work in the UK.
English Language requirement has been satisfied with level A1 course.
Benefits of a UK Fiancé Visa
- The applicant who marries the UK citizen can settle permanently in the UK.
- After marriage the applicant is free to undertake any type of employment without restrictions.
- The applicant, after the marriage is entitled to the same benefits as UK citizens.
- This visa serves as a route to permanent stay in the UK and ultimately the British Nationality.