The medical system in UK is quite good; that’s why people from different countries come to the UK for medical treatment. However, you need a visa if you want to come to the UK to receive medical treatment.
In order to receive medical treatement in the UK, you can apply under the UK visitor visa category. A UK visitor visa allows you to come to the UK and stay for a maximum of 6 months – after which, you must leave the UK. However, there are certain eligibility requirements that need to be fulfilled in order to do this.
Eligibility for visiting the UK for medical treatment
All foreign nationals coming to the UK for medical treatment first need to prove the following:
- They can afford to support themselves financially during their stay in the UK
- They have no intention to work or study while they are in the UK
- They will leave the UK at the end of their visit
These are common eligibility conditions which everyone must meet for a successful UK visitor visa. In addition to these, there are other eligibility criteria which one must meet when they are coming to the UK for private medical treatment. These are:
- You have a medical condition that needs private treatment or consultation in the UK
- You have made the arrangements for consultations or treatment and you have paid for it
- You are financially able to pay for your treatment and to support yourself without using public funds, including being able to pay for your return or onward journey
- You will leave the UK when your treatment is completed, or when your visa expires
- Your disease is not a danger to public health
Applying for a UK medical treatment visa
In order to apply for a UK medical treatment visa, you need to use the standard visitor visa form VAF 1. If you have family members in the UK, you need to declare it on the form along with full details of their personal information. Along with this, you also need to provide supporting documents, such as:
- A current passport or other valid travel identification
- A letter or document from a registered UK medical practitioner which proves that medical arrangement has been made for the treatment of your disease – along with the time it will take
- Financial documents – such as bank statement – to prove that you can afford to pay for the treatment.
- Certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.
Apart from these, you also need to provide other required information such as date of your travel to the UK, details of your stay, and so on.
When you apply for UK visitor visa for medical treatment, you will be told where to send your application. Once your application is successful, you can come to the UK for private medical treatment for a maximum of six months. Once your treatment is completed – or your visa expires – you must leave the UK.
Extending your stay
Your treatment may require you to stay for more than six months. If this is the case, you can apply to extend your stay in the UK. However, you must make this application before your UK visitor visa expires. As with the initial application, you will have to prove that further treatment is required, you have paid for the treatment cost so far, and that you can also pay for future treatment.