• +44 (0)20 3411 1261
  • info@visaandmigration.com
uk visa enquiry
UK Visa
 /   /  Sponsorship Licence

Get In Touch




See All

Sponsorship Licence

Do you need to apply for a Sponsorship Licence?
Speak to our experts to find out about our fast, friendly and affordable service

Standard Service We Offer

  • We prepare your application for sponsorship licence;
  • We advise you on the evidence to be maintained for compliance;
  • We advise you on the evidence to be submitted with your application;
  • We train your staff for SMS maintenance or main the same for you (as required);
  • Provide you advertisements to satisfy RLMT;
  • Assign one CoS for you;
  • Visiting your premises; and
  • Prepare you for Home Office visits.

Additional Services:

Maintenance of Sponsor Management System;

Application for Renewal of Sponsorship Licence; and

Regular compliance checks.

There are 3 categories of Sponsorship Licence: Tier 2, Tier 4 and Tier 5. The Certificate of sponsorship (COS) can be issued to an applicant by the Sponsorship Licence Holder under any of the below categories:

  • Tier 2 (General) - for skilled workers
  • Tier 2 (Intra company transfer)
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson)
  • Tier 2 (Minister of religion)
  • Tier 4 (General) for adult students
  • Tier 4 (Child)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker - Creative and sporting)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker - Charity worker)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker - Religious worker)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker - International agreement)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker - Government authorised exchange)


In order to hire a worker or sponsor a student from inside or outside the UK or European Economic Areas, the employer or educational institution must have the Sponsorship Licence from the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI)


Application for Sponsorship Licence

Any organisation or an educational institution can apply for a sponsorship licence provided they meet the relevant requirements from the sponsor guidance. The organisation can be single body or branches, franchise or if you have taken over a company. The evidence to be submitted with the application is particular to each and every type of organisation. We strongly recommend the organisations to seek advice before making the application because if your application is refused the organisation will not be allowed to submit an application again for 6 months. Once the application is submitted with the evidence relevant to your organisation the Home Office will review the evidence and in most of the cases visit the organisation in order to verify whether the organisation is compliant with the Home Office requirements. You should seek advice in order to confirm what compliance requirements should be met by your organisation. Once the compliance requirements have been met the Sponsorship licence will be granted which will be valid for 4 years. After the Sponsorship Licence is granted the organisation can request and assign the relevant certificate of sponsorship (SOC).

Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) - Sponsorship Licence

The COS is assigned to the foreign migrant worker, assigning the COS does not guarantee the approval of the application of an employee; they are also required to meet other relevant requirement of the relevant Tier 2 or 5.

Certificate of sponsorships are 2 types:

Unrestricted (COS) can only be assigned to the migrant/employee already inside the UK. However, they should be able to switch their Immigration category inside the UK. There will be a requirement for Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) to be met if the migrant is already in the UK on Tier 2 Visa and they will need to issued Certificate of Sponsorship under the change of circumstances category, which is unrestricted COS.

Restricted Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) is mainly assigned to foreign employee/migrant coming to the UK from outside. This COS cannot be issued without conducting Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) that is advertising the role for 28 days’ period in a specified manner.

The position advertised or offered should also meet the salary requirements specified in the Codes of Practice for Skilled Workers, every code has a different salary requirement to be met.

Validity of Certificate of Sponsorship - Sponsorship Licence

The certificate of sponsorship is valid for a period of 3 months from the date of issue under a Tier 2 or Tier 5 category. However, the COS can be issued for 6 months or over to a maximum period of 5 years, however, the salary requirements will differ according to the period the COS is issued for.

Once a Certificate of Sponsorship is issued, the sponsor is fully responsible for reporting the employees’ job-related information on the Sponsor Management System (SMS), which should be maintained by the Level 1 or 2 users, please see the Management of Sponsor Management System on our website. Non-compliance will result in either the suspension or revocation of the Sponsorship Licence.

Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) - Sponsorship Licence

Resident Labour Market Test is a requirement of the Home Office that is an advertisement of the position for 28 days at Job Centre Plus (Universal Job match) and another website or newspaper approved by the Home Office. You will also be required to interview the applicants who apply for this job. The exemptions to RLMT are:

  • Job is on the shortage occupation list
  • Tier 1 Post Study Worker
  • Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)
  • the International Graduates Scheme
  • the Fresh Talent Working in Scotland Scheme
  • the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme
  • Tier 4 Student Visa
  • Salary above £155,300.00
  • Supernumerary research positions
  • Postgraduate doctors and dentists in specialist training

Salary and allowances

From April 2015 you will be required to pay a minimum salary of £20800.00. In any other case, the salary requirement must meet the Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) Codes.

Shortage Occupations in the UK

  • Production managers and directors in mining and energy
  • Biological scientists and biochemists
  • Physical Scientists
  • Natural and social science professionals
  • Civil engineers
  • Mechanical engineers
  • Electrical engineers
  • Electronics Engineers
  • Design and development engineers
  • Production and process engineers
  • Engineering professionals not elsewhere classified
  • Business analysts, architects and systems designers
  • Environmental Professionals
  • Medical practitioners
  • Medical Radiographers
  • Nurses (specialist nurse working in neonatal intensive care units)
  • Secondary education teaching professionals
  • Social workers
  • Quality control and planning engineers
  • Engineering technicians
  • Medical and dental technicians
  • Artist (Animator in visual effects and 2D/3D computer animation for the film, television or video games sectors)
  • Dancers and choreographers
  • Musicians
  • Arts officers, producers and directors (visual effects and 2D/3D computer animation for the film, television or video games sectors)
  • Graphic designers (visual effects and 2D/3D computer animation for the film, television or video games sectors)
  • Buyers and purchasing officers (manufacturing engineer (purchasing) in the aerospace industry)
  • Aircraft maintenance and related trades
  • Line repairers and cable jointers (overhead lines worker, working on high voltage lines that carry at least 275,000 volts)
  • Chefs
  • Physical scientists
  • Medical practitioners

Why Choose Us for your Sponsorship Licence?

  • You pay a Fixed Fee
  • With experience of working with different organisations, we are able to provide specific advice to your organisation
  • Our immigration adviser will take detailed instructions from you and advise you about the relevant immigration law and procedure to be adopted by the Immigration Authorities in your immigration case
  • Our immigration advisers represent your circumstances clearly;
  • Our immigration advisers will discuss your immigration case in detail with you and advise you about the weaknesses and strengths of your immigration case;
  • Our immigration advisers will advise you about the documentary evidence to be submitted in support of your application
  • Our immigration advisers will consider contents of the documentary evidence to be submitted in support of the application and discuss the same with you
  • We provide our clients with unlimited meetings and support
  • We provide our clients with unlimited phone calls
  • We assist you to meet all the compliance requirements of the Home Office

Do you need to apply for a Sponsorship Licence?
Speak to our experts to find out about our fast, friendly and affordable service

Get In Touch




See All
We specialise exclusively in UK Immigration and Nationality Law. We are regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner(OISC). We provide immigration services to clients from worldwide. Immigration law is complex and with the rules constantly changing we strongly recommend that you use specialists to support and represent you from the start. Call us now for an honest opinion of your case, possible costs and options.

Quick links


The Lansdowne Building, 2 Lansdowne Road, Croydon, Surrey, CR9 2ER
+44 (0)20 3411 1261
+44 (0)20 3761 1901

India Office:
E501 Jagaran Apartments, Dwarka Sector 22, New Delhi, India