uk visa enquiry
UK Visa

Permitted Paid Engagement Visa

Do you need to apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

Speak to our experts to find out about our fast, friendly and affordable service

Permitted Paid Engagement Visa Applications

What is a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

A permitted paid engagement visa is a visa for people who want to visit the UK to do specific paid work for a short period without having to be sponsored under the points-based visa system. It allows you to enter the UK in order to take part in a “paid engagement”, such as speaking at a public event or attending a conference.

The visa is granted for a period of up to one month, and you cannot apply for an extension for a permitted paid engagement visa. Instead, you would need to apply for another type of visa, such as a visitor visa or a tier 2 visa.

Permitted Paid Engagement Visa Requirements & Eligibility

For your permitted paid engagement visa application to be successful, you would need to meet the following requirements and eligibility criteria:

  • You are over 18 years old

  • You have been invited by a UK-based organisation or client

  • You are coming to the UK from a country outside of the EEA and Switzerland

  • You are visiting the UK for no longer than three months

  • You plan to leave the UK at the end of your visit

  • You can prove that you have enough funds to support yourself without recourse to public funds

  • You are able to pay for your return or onward journey

Required Documents

You will be required to supply a number of different documents with your permitted paid engagement visa application. These include:

  • An up-to-date passport

  • A separate passport photograph - signed with your name on the back

  • Proof of the necessary funds to cover your expenses during your stay

  • Details of your travel plans and where you will be staying in the UK

  • An invitation from the organisation paying you for your visit to the UK

  • Proof that the work activity relates to their professional or academic expertise

Permitted Paid Engagement Visa Restrictions

There are a variety of different activities that you can partake in under a permitted paid engagement visa in the UK. These range from being a student assessor, giving lectures and examining as part of a training organisation, to taking part in broadcasting, sports and even fashion modelling assignments. You will also be able to take part in education-related selection panels and provide legal advocacy, if relevant to your position.

However, there are also a large number of restrictions attached to a permitted paid engagement visa. For example, you are not able to extend the visa, switch to another visa, or live in the UK for an extended period of time. In addition, you won’t be able to access public funds, study, register a marriage, or get private medical treatment. In addition, your family members (i.e. dependents) would need to apply separately if you wish to come with you to the UK.

Permitted Paid Engagement Visa Refusals

Applications for a permitted paid engagement visa can be refused. There are a number of reasons why this may be the case, from supplying incorrect documentation through to failures to disclose previous immigration issues. You should try to avoid these mistakes as far as possible so that the Home Office does not get a chance to rejection your visa application.

Unlike some other UK visas, there is no right of appeal against the decision to refuse a permitted paid engagement visa application. The only appeal you can make is through a Judicial Review. Contact us to speak to an immigration specialist and find out what course of action you can take if your visa is refused.

Do you need to apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

Speak to our experts to find out about our fast, friendly and affordable service

about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.