uk visa enquiry

Skilled Worker Migration

A skilled worker route is a way for UK employers to recruit foreign workers in specific job roles by offering them a job and certificate of sponsorship. The skilled worker route has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa and it allows talented workers to migrate to the UK in a job role that matches their skill set. An applicant needs to receive a job offer by a Home Office approved sponsoring organization in the UK.

Point-Based System

A skilled worker visa requires certain number of points under the UK point system in which points are awarded for fulfilling different criteria. Under the new point-based system applicant must earn at least 70 points out of which 50 points are given against meeting the mandatory requirements while 20 points are tradeable.
Mandatory points:
  1. You must receive a certificate of sponsorship from a Home office approved UK sponsor  -  20 points
  1. You must get a job offer at an appropriate skill level - 20 points
  2. You must speak English at a sufficient level - 10 points
Tradable points:
  1. If your salary is at least between £20,480 and £23,039 - 0 points
  2. If your salary is between £22,040 and £25,599 - 10 points
  3. If your salary is £25,600 or above - 20 points
  4. If you have been offered a job in the occupation of shortage as designated by the Migration advisory committee - 20 points
  1. If you have a degree at the level of PhD in a subject that is relevant to the job you have been offered - 10 points
  1. If you have a degree at the PhD level in a STEM subject that is relevant to your job - 20 points
You need to earn a minimum of 70 points to be eligible for a skilled worker visa. On the 4th March 2021, there is an addition of some occupation in shortage occupations list. 8 occupations will be added to the Shortage Occupation List in the health and care sectors. These 8 occupations in the health and care sector include the followings:
  1. Pharmacists
  2. Physiotherapists
  3. Nursing auxiliaries and assistants
  4. Health service and public health managers and directors
  5. Laboratory technicians
  6. Senior care workers
  7. Residential, day and domiciliary care managers and proprietors
  8. Health professionals not elsewhere classified
Modern foreign language teachers will also be added to the shortage occupation list but skilled chefs have been removed from the list. Skilled chefs will still qualify for the skilled worker route because of changes in the skills and salary threshold.

Documents to be submitted

Like all other visa applications applicants looking to come to the UK under the UK, skilled worker visa also needs to submit key documents along with their application. The list of documents includes:
  1. Your current valid passport or any other travel document;
  2. Documents like a bank statement, salary slip to prove that you can maintain yourself in the UK financially;
  1. Documents such as English language knowledge test to prove that you have sufficient knowledge of the language;
  1. Your Tuberculosis test result if you come from a country where it is mandatory to take the TB test.

Family members (dependents)

Family members such as spouse/partner or children of the main applicants can join them during their stay in the UK. However, the applicant needs to prove that the relationship is genuine and subsisting and  they can meet the maintenance and accommodation requirement for their family members.

How to apply?

If you apply from outside the UK, you must apply online. If you apply from within the UK for an extension of the visa or switching to the UK skilled worker visa from any other visa category you must apply online. If you intend to apply for a skilled worker visa and need professional assistance you can contact Visa and Migration Ltd on 02034111261
You can also follow us on social media Facebook: Twitter: LinkedIn: YouTube:

about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.