uk visa enquiry

Youth Mobility Scheme

Youth mobility scheme UK is a short-term visa for up to 2 years that allows foreign nationals aged 18 and 30 to study, work or live in the UK. Applicants from participating countries only can apply for this visa. The Youth Mobility scheme is going to replace T5 (Temporary Worker) Each year, each participating country gets an annual allocation, and the yearly budgets are like this: 

  • Australia - 30,000 places 

  • New Zealand - 13,000 places 

  • Canada - 6,000 places 

  • Japan - 1,500 places 

  • Monaco - 1,000 places 

  • Taiwan - 1,000 places 

  • Hong Kong - 1,000 places 

  • Republic of Korea - 1,000 places 

  • San Marino - 1,000 places 

  • India – 3000 

  • Iceland – 1000 

Also, British Overseas citizens, British Overseas Territories citizens and British National (Overseas) citizens are eligible to apply. 

Migrants on the youth mobility scheme look for and undertake employment in the UK without sponsorship. You cannot bring your dependents, and you cannot apply for settlement under this route except insofar as time spent on it can count towards ten years of continuous lawful residence for payment. You can come to the UK through this route only once.  

Changes to the Youth Mobility scheme 

In June 2021, the Home Office made changes to the Youth Mobility scheme. According to the changes, applicants from some specific countries need to apply for the ballot before applying for the youth mobility scheme. Starting from 1 January 2022, Iceland and India have been added to the list of countries applicants can apply for the youth mobility scheme.  


Citizens of the following countries can directly apply for the youth mobility scheme 

  • Australia 

  • Canada 

  • Monaco 

  • New Zealand 

  • San Marino 

  • Iceland 

British Overseas citizens, British Overseas Territories citizens and British National (Overseas) citizens can also apply directly.  

However, citizens of the following countries need to apply for the ballot first before applying for the youth mobility scheme: 

  • Hong Kong, if they have a SAR passport 

  • Japan 

  • South Korea 

  • Taiwan 

  • India 

Ballots are opened twice a year. Ballots typically open in January and July each year. Ballots will be open for 48 hours. All applicants must send their emails to enter a ballot within 48 hours. All applicants will receive an automated reply confirming receipt. Once the ballot closes, applicants will then be chosen at random by UKVI. If you are unsuccessful in the first ballot, you can apply for the next ballot. 


  1. You must be aged 18 to 30 

  2. You must be a valid citizen of Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Japan, Monaco, Taiwan, the Republic of Korea, San Marino, Iceland and India or British Overseas citizen, British Overseas Territories citizen and British National (Overseas) citizen.  

  3. You must be able to support yourself financially in the UK. To meet this requirement, you must have at least £2,530 in your bank account for at least 28 days in a row, and the 28th day must be within 31 days of applying for the youth mobility scheme visa. 

  4. You must have taken a TB (tuberculosis) test from the country in your country.  

  5. You must not have any UK visa refusal under the general grounds for refusal. 

You cannot apply if you have 

  • children under the age of 18 living with you 

  • children whose financial responsibility is upon you 

  • already been in the UK under the youth mobility scheme 

Additional requirements for Indian young professionals 

If you are an Indian national need to meet additional requirements, which are the followings:  

  1. You must hold a qualification equal to or above RQF level 6 and provide evidence of that qualification in the form of written confirmation from the issuing institution that you successfully completed your studies and graduated with the required qualification; or 

  2. You must have a minimum of three years’ work experience in a professional role equivalent to an eligible occupation listed in Appendix Skilled Occupation. You need to show the evidence of your work experience either through salary payslips from your employer showing your job title and employer’s name; or payslips accompanied by a letter from your employer, on the employer’s headed paper and signed by a senior official to confirm that the payslips are authentic. 


about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.