uk visa enquiry

What is an Unmarried Partner Visa?

This visa is for people who are not married or do not want to get married but stay in a genuine and subsisting long term relationship. As an Un-married Partner, you can either be dependent if your sponsor has a temporary visa i.e. limited leave to remain for example as a Tier 2 visa holder or Tier 1 Visa holder. OR You can be an unmarried partner of a person who is British or holds Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. The applicant can apply for entry clearance to come to the UK or apply for leave to remain as a partner provided his/her current visa category allows the switch. The applicant must be in a relationship with a person who is a British Citizen or settled in the UK or on Limited Leave to Remain (exceptions can be made if the applicant’s partner is remaining in the UK as a recognised refugee). The applications are made under the Immigration Rules. All the unmarried partners whether their sponsor is  British Citizen or settled in the UK or on Limited Leave to Remain generally need to show –

  • Both the applicant and the UK partner are over 18 years of age;
  • have met each other;
  • have been in a genuine and subsisting for at least 2 years period;
  • the applicant can be accommodated in the UK;
  • the applicant can be maintained without recourse to public funds;
  • the applicant does not fall for refusal under general grounds for refusal; and
  • the unmarried partners intend to live together in the UK

How to Apply?

The application can be submitted from within or outside the UK. The in-country application can only be made if you are in a category which allows you to switch from within the UK (generally any visa except visitor visa). Once the applicant has completed the application they should provide evidence to meet the above requirements for the Home Office to consider the application.

Documents to Submit

  • Your passport
  • Copy of your partner’s passport
  • Proof of relationship
  • If any of your documents are not in English or Welsh language then you need to provide a certified translation of those
N.B. this is not a complete list of documents. Contact the advisors at Visa and Migration Ltd for a fully comprehensive list according to your situation or circumstances.

How long you can stay on Unmarried Partner Visa

For applications made outside the UK, once the application is approved the applicant will be given one month visa and they will collect their Biometric residence permit which will be for - Length of a Main Applicant’s or Sponsor’s Temporary Visa ( Tier 2 or Tier 1 visas) - 2.5 years if applying under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules For applications made within the UK will also follow the above timeline. Once an applicant has completed 5 years in the UK as a dependent of the sponsor or main applicant or under Appendix FM of the rules they can apply for settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain) in the UK provided all requirements are met. The application fee to the Home Office depends under the category you apply – Tier 1 – Entrepreneur – Outside the UK - £1021 + Immigration Health Surcharge of £1200; Inside the UK – £1,277 Tier 1 – Investor - Outside the UK £1,623 ++ Immigration Health Surcharge of £1200 Tier 2 General – From outside 3 years or less - £610 + Immigration Health Surcharge of £1200 Appendix FM - from outside the UK is £1523 + Immigration Health Surcharge of £1200. From inside the UK, you will pay a Government fee of £1033 + and Immigration Health Surcharge of £1000 Contact Visa and Migration Ltd now to know more or apply Unmarried Partner Visa....

about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.