uk visa enquiry

What Documents Do You Need to Apply for a Spouse Visa?

Spouse Visa is a category under Settlement Visa. People who are either holding Indefinite Leave to Remain or a British citizen – present and settled – in the UK can bring his/her spouse to the UK.

Sponsoring partner

To complete the immigration process settled partner in the UK need to sponsor their partner’s application so that he/she can join them in the UK. To be a sponsor you need to meet one of the following:
  • You must be a British Citizen or
  • You must have settled status or indefinite leave to remain in the UK or
  • You must have asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK.


Both the partners must meet some eligibility criteria in order to one partner from the outside UK to join the other UK resident partner in the UK. These criteria are set by the Immigration Authorities in the UK. These eligibility criteria are the following:
  • Both must be over 18;
  • Applicant’s partner who they want to join must be a British citizen or ILR holder;
  • There must be a marriage or civil partnership between the two and it must be recognized in the UK;
  • The Relationship of the couple must be genuine and subsisting;
  • The applicant must meet the English language requirements;
  • The applicant must not for refusal under the suitability requirements; and
  • The applicant must be maintained and accommodated in the UK.

Documents required to apply for a UK spouse visa

The documents required generally depend on the circumstances of the applicant case and the evidence changes according to circumstances of the applicant. Some documents which are applicable to all cases are mentioned below:
  • Printed application forms;
  • Your current passport or valid travel identification document;
  • Passport sized photographs;
  • Evidence showing your identity and status in the UK;
  • Documents to show the marital status between the two;
  • Evidence of intent that you and your partner want to live together in the UK;
  • Documents to show that partner in the UK has adequate accommodation;
  • Documents to prove that you can meet the financial OR maintenance requirement if receiving permitted benefits;
  • Proof that your partner has the knowledge of the English language;
  • Your partner’s valid TB test certificate- where applicable; and
  • Sponsorship form.
If along with your partner your child or children are also applying to travel to the UK, then below mentioned documents should also be submitted. However, this is not a complete list.
  • Current passport or valid travel identification document of the child/children;
  • Previous or expired passports of the child if any;
  • Passport sized photographs of child/children; and
  • Valid TB test certificate of child/children where applicable;
So, once you submit your application with appropriate documents then you have a fair chance to get a successful decision on your application else your application may get rejected. So, you should always seek the advice of expert about it so that you don’t make a big mistake. Visa and Migration Ltd specializes in UK immigration law and our lawyers can help you achieve a successful outcome on your application. If you want our legal assistance, please call 02034111261 or complete the contact us form on the right hand....

about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.