uk visa enquiry

Ways to meet the financial requirement - Appendix FM

One who applies for entry clearance, leave to remain, or indefinite leave to remain in the UK as a partner or dependent child of a person who is a British Citizen or has settled status in the UK or is in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection needs to meet the financial requirement

Who needs to meet the financial requirement?

Those applying for Family life as a partner or Family life as a child of a person with limited leave as a partner need to meet the financial requirement. The financial requirement also needs to be met by child applicants where a parent who has adopted the child or is in the process of it, is themselves subject to the financial requirement because they have or are applying for entry clearance or limited leave to remain in the UK as a partner under Appendix FM. Apart from this those applying as partners or children of members of HM forces also need to meet the financial requirement.

Minimum income requirement

If you are applying as a partner you must be sponsored by your partner who is either a British citizen or has settled status in the UK. The financial requirement in the form of a minimum income threshold is like this: Partner without children - £18,600 Partner with 1 child - £22,400 Partner with 2 children - £24,800 £2,400 additional gross annual income is required for each child after the 1st dependent child. But if the child is a British citizen you don't need to meet the minimum income threshold of more than £18,600.

Ways to meet the financial requirement

If one is making a visa application from outside the UK then only the income of partners will be included and if the visa application is being made from inside the UK, the income of both individuals will be counted towards meeting the minimum income threshold. In case a UK partner earns the minimum annual income, the other partner (applicant) does not have to meet the financial requirement in such situations. The types of income include the following:
  • Salaried or non-salaried employment
  • Self-employment
  • Non-employment income such as property rental income, dividends or shares
  • Cash savings above £16,000 held by the partner and/or the applicant for at least 6 months and under their control.
  • Pension income
One important thing to note here is that income must be in the name of the applicant, their partner, or jointly. If the applicant's partner receives any of the following benefits or allowances in the UK, the applicant does not need to meet the minimum income threshold.
  •  Carer's allowance
  • Disability living allowance.
  • Severe Disablement allowance
  • Industrial injuries disablement benefit
  • Attendance allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under the
  • Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension
  • Under the War Pensions Scheme
  • Police Injury Pension
This is how you can meet the financial requirement when applying as a partner or a dependent child.
You can also follow us on social media Facebook: Twitter: LinkedIn: YouTube:

about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.