uk visa enquiry

UK Spouse Visa

A non-British citizen with a spouse or a partner who is a British citizen or holds indefinite leave to remain in the UK or has a permanent right of residence in the UK can apply for a UK spouse visa to join their UK partner. Your partner must sponsor you to bring you to the UK. You are granted a stay in the UK on a UK Spouse visa for two years and nine months. You can also apply for an extension of your UK spouse visa before the granted period ends.   

Eligibility for UK spouse visa

Your partner must meet the following eligibility requirements:  

They must be 18 or over.  

They must be one of the followings:  

a.       A British citizen; or 

b.       Be settled in the UK, which means they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence; or 

c.       If they are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, they must have pre-settled status, and they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021; or  

d.       Have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish worker visa; or 

e.       Be in the UK with refugee status or humanitarian protection.  

You need to meet the following eligibility requirements for a UK spouse visa;  

a.       You must be 18 or over; 

b.       You must meet the English language requirement;  

c.       You must be able to support yourself and your dependents (if any) financially; and 

d.       You must pass the Tuberculosis test if you come from a country where it is mandatory to take a TB test.   

You and your partner must be able to prove the following eligibility requirements:  

a.       You are in a marriage or civil partnership recognised in the UK;  

b.       Your relationship with your partner is genuine and subsisting;  

c.       You must meet the accommodation requirement. This means that the UK property where you (the applicant) and your UK partner intend to live in must be ‘owned or occupied exclusively’ by your family; 

d.       Your partner must have an annual income of at least £18,600. If you and/or your partner have a combined savings of £62,500, that alone meet the financial requirement. Any savings between £16,000 and £62,499 reduces the annual income required.  

To prove your relationship, living together, financials, accommodation etc. You need to submit the evidence supporting these facts.  

How long can you stay on a UK spouse visa?  

If your UK spouse visa application is successful, you will be granted a stay of 33 months if you are applying from outside the UK. After this period, you can apply for an extension also. If you switch to a UK spouse visa from any other visa or you extend your existing UK spouse visa, you will be granted a further stay of 30 months in the UK.  

How to apply?  

You must apply online whether you apply from outside the UK or you are already in the UK and applying in the UK.  

Applying with children  

You can apply for your children as dependents by adding them to your application. However, each child must be under 18 when you use or were under 18 when they were first granted leave, and none of them lives an independent life. 

Should you wish to apply for a UK spouse Visa you can call Visa and Migration Ltd on 02034111261 to discuss your application. Visa and Migration Ltd is a fee charging organisation.  

You can also follow us on social media 






about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.