uk visa enquiry

UK Spouse or Partner visa to Indefinite Leave to Remain 5 year Route

UK spouse visa allows a non-British individual with a partner who is either a British citizen, holds ILR, Pre-settled status, settled status, ECAA, refugee or holds Humantarian Protection in the UK to join them. After completing 5 years on a UK Spouse visa or Partner Visa, you can apply for an indefinite leave to remain under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. ILR will allow you to live and work in the UK permanently without any time restriction.

How to switch from a UK spouse visa to Indefinite Leave to Remain?

You need to have lived in the UK for 5 years on a UK spouse visa /partner visa to be able to apply for an ILR. If you were granted spouse visa before 9 July 2012 then you can apply for ILR once you have completed 2 years in the UK.

Spouse/partner Visa ILR requirements

The eligibility requirements depend upon whether you are on
 5-year route
 10-year route

You can only include the time you’ve spent in the UK on other visas if you are under the 10 years route, however, people on 5 years route cannot include any other visas including a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner

Financial requirements

If you are applying for an ILR based on ten years of continuous living in the UK, you need not meet any financial requirements. If you are on a five years route, you and/or your partner must usually income of at least £18,600 a year.
If you have dependent children (who are not British or holing ILR), you need to provide extra finances for them as follows:
 £3,800 extra a year for your first child; and
 £2,400 extra a year for each child you have after your first child

Language and Life in the UK requirement

You must book and pass the Life in the UK test if you are 18 to 64. You also need to meet the English language requirement. You can prove your knowledge of the English language by having a recognized English qualification with at least level B1 in speaking and listening or a degree taught or researched in English.

How to apply?

You must apply online. You will have to provide various documents when you apply. You’ll need to:
 give proof of your income and where you live - if you’re on the 5 or 10-year route;
 prove you’ve lived in the UK with your partner since you got your last visa;
 prove that your relationship with your partner is genuine and subsisting; and
 prove you meet the English language requirements and have passed the Life in the UK Test

Should you need assistance with your application for leave to enter or remain as a spouse/partner, please contact Visa and Migration Ltd on 02034111261.


about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.