uk visa enquiry

UK Ancestry Visa- A brief account

UK Ancestry visa is for commonwealth citizens whose grandparent was born in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, or Ireland (before 1922). The visa allows commonwealth citizens to live and work in the UK.     

Who can apply for UK ancestry visa? 

Those who are Commonwealth citizen Listed in Schedule 3 of British Nationality Act 1981 citizens of Malta, Zimbabwe and Cyprus have some additional requirements; or  

One of their grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel of Islands, the Isle of Man, or Ireland (before 1922); or  

On a ship or aircraft either registered in the UK or belonged to the UK Government 


Claiming your ancestry 

You can claim ancestry if: 

  • you or your parent were adopted 

  • your parents or grandparents were not married 

However, claiming ancestry through step-parents is not possible. 

Other eligibility requirements 

You need to meet the following eligibility requirements other than being a commonwealth citizen with a grandparent born in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, or Ireland (before 1922): 

  • You must be 17 years old or over 

  • You must prove that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependents (if any) without relying on public funds 

  • You must also have accommodation for yourself and dependents (if any) 

  • You must be planning and be able to live and work in the UK 


Documents to be submitted 

You need to submit the following documents: 

  • Your current passport with a blank page in it for your visa or any other valid travel document 

  • Your full birth certificate 

  • The full birth certificates of your parent and grandparent through whom you are claiming your ancestry 

  • documents such as a job offer or a business plan to prove that you have plans to work in the UK 

  • documents such as bank statement to prove that you can support yourself and dependents (if any) financially 

You may also need to submit more documents depending on your circumstances. 

Applying for dependents 

First, you need to know who is a dependent. Well, a dependent is any of the following: 

  • Your partner 

  • Your child below 18 years of age 

  • Your child aged 18 or over who was previously on your visa or your partner's visa as a dependent 

You must provide evidence of your relationship with your partner and/or child when applying. 

Each family member needs to make an individual application to come together to the UK as a'dependent.' 

When to apply? 

The earliest date to apply for a UK ancestry visa starts 3 months before you travel to the UK. 

If you are looking for representations on any of the above routes you can get a free assessment from one of our lawyers at Visa and Migration Ltd. You can call 02034111261 or email   


about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.