uk visa enquiry

UK Ancestry Visa

UK Ancestry visa is for a Commonwealth citizen or a British overseas citizen or a British Overseas Territories Citizen or a British National (Overseas) or a citizen of Zimbabwe and whose one of the grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man. It does not matter whether your grandparent born in the UK is alive or dead for you to apply for a UK ancestry visa.

Eligibility for UK Ancestry visa

You need to meet the following eligibility requirements to be able to apply for UK Ancestry Visa:
a. You must be one of the following:

  •    Commonwealth citizen
  • British overseas citizen

b. c a British Overseas Territories citizen

  •   British national (Overseas)
  • citizen of Zimbabwe

c. One of your grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man at any time.
d. One of your grandparents was born in the Republic of Ireland on or before 31 March 1922.
e. You must be 17 or over.
f. You must have enough money for maintenance and accommodation for yourself and any dependants without seeking public funds.
g. You must show the ability and intention to work in the UK during the entire period of your visa.

Proving your ancestry

You need to prove your ancestry to apply for a UK ancestry visa. You need to prove that one of your grandparents was born in one of the followings situations:
a. born in the UK, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man
b. born in Northern Ireland or if born in what is now the Republic of Ireland, then it must be on or before 31 March 1922
c. born on a ship or aircraft that belonged to the UK government or registered in the UK.

Claiming ancestry

You can claim ancestry if you or the parent you are claiming ancestry is an adopted child. You can also claim ancestry if your parents or grandparents were not married. You cannot claim ancestry through step-parents.

How long can you stay?

You can stay for five years in the UK on a UK ancestry visa. After living in the UK for five years, you can apply for an extension of another five years or ILR (indefinite leave to remain) provided you meet the eligibility requirements. If you are looking for representations on any of the above routes, you can get a free assessment from one of our lawyers at Visa and Migration Ltd. You can call 02034111261 or email

Consult for expert advice on UK settlement and family visas


about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.