You may be in the UK on a visa category like a work visa or study visa. If you want to extend your UK visa before it expires, you need to know few basic things. You can do certain things when you are looking for UK visa extension.
- You should start preparing for your visa extension at least 2 months before your visa expires.
- You should gather necessary information about the visa extension in your visa category.
- You need to make sure that you have enough money in your bank account.
- You should gather all the required documents.
- You can seek advice from an advisor, to ensure that your visa extension application is correct.
Different visa categories allow you stay in the UK for different time lengths. Similarly, against each visa category, you can get extension for specific time lengths - after this you may apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR)
in the UK.
For example, a Tier 1 general visa allows you to stay in the UK for a period of upto 2 years and you can apply for extension of 2 years or 3 years depending upon your immigration category. Similarly, a Tier 2 general visa
allows you to stay in UK for a maximum of 3 years and you may apply for another 3 years when applying for an extension.
Things to know
Different visa categories have different requirement which you must fulfill in order to get a successful extension to stay in UK. However, a few things are essential to be known in order to make a successful application.
- You should apply within the time frame required before your current UK visa expires.
- You need to read the guidelines before you apply.
- You need to ensure that you produce the correct documents.
- You need to know the eligibility criteria in order to apply for a visa extension.
- You should know the financial eligibility requirements of the applicants and dependents.
- You should know the fee amount required to apply.
- You should be aware of how to apply - for example, you can download the form and send it by post to the given address on the form.
- You should know how much time it takes before you get a decision on your application.
- In most categories, you have to provide your biometric information.
- You need to be aware of what might happen to any dependants.
- You need to know where and how to appeal should your visa be refused.
- You should update yourself about any changes made to UK immigration rules and policies.
If you are not sure of how to go about it then you should consult immigration experts. If you have to stay in UK for longer than your currently allocated time, it is better that you know these things in advance so that you don’t have to face a rejection against your fresh application for extension.
If you fail to apply for a visa extension or your application is rejected then you may have to leave your job, company, family and UK immediately.
We can help you by advising you on how you can apply and what documents you need to submit. We also help you to complete the online application forms and send your documents to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). Get in touch
with our expert team to find out more....