There are two types of applicants who can apply under this category-
An applicant must either be:
an overseas media employee who:
- is employed by an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation;
- is being posted by their employer on a long-term assignment for them in the UK
UK Sole Representative Visa Requirement
- applying to be the sole representative in the UK of an overseas employer who intends to establish a commercial presence by operating a registered branch or wholly-owned subsidiary of that overseas business in the UK and that branch or subsidiary will operate in the same type of business activity as the overseas business
One can be eligible for a sole representative Visa UK provided he/she must be recruited and employed outside the UK by the overseas company and now they intend to represent the company in the UK.
The applicant must meet other eligibility requirements to apply for UK sole representative successfully. These requirements are the following:
When to apply?
- Applicants must apply from outside the EEA (European Economic Area).
- Applicant must be an employee and a representative of a company operating outside the UK which has no branch, subsidiary or other representatives in the UK.
- Applicants must be recruited and employed outside the UK.
- Applicants must have extensive related industry experience and knowledge.
- The applicant must be a senior an employee with full authority to take an operational decision for setting up a branch in the UK or wholly-owned subsidiary on behalf of the overseas company.
- The applicant must be a full-time employee of the company.
- The applicant cannot be the majority shareholder in the company thus shareholding must be less than 50%.
- The applicant must not take any other job.
- The applicant must have enough money to meet his and dependent (if any) financial need during the stay in the UK without any help from public funds in the UK.
- Applicants must obtain entry clearance before entering the UK.
- The applicant must meet the English Language Requirement.
One can apply for the sole representative visa 3 months before they travel to the UK. After applying for a visa from the outside UK, the applicant should expect the decision within 3 weeks.
Length of time allowed staying in the UK
Successful applicants can come and stay in the UK for an initial period of 3 years. Thereafter, the applicant can apply for an extension of the visa for another 2 years. And after having spent 5 years in the UK, you can apply to settle permanently in the UK.
Rights of dependents
Dependents of the main applicant which includes husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner or children less than 18 years of age can join them in the UK provided they meet the eligibility conditions.
If they are eligible, they can live and stay in the UK with the main applicant. They can also study and work in the UK without any restrictions. However, dependents will not enjoy any recourse to public funds.
Indefinite leave to Remain
- required by the employer and the employer must certify this in a letter which will need to provide at the extension stage
- working in the job that entry clearance was granted for: they must show they are in receipt of a salary from their employer by evidence of the salary paid in the previous 12 months and confirmation of how that salary was paid - for example, whether it was paid as basic or commission and the numbers of hours paid and the applicant will need to provide the evidence of company operations in the UK.
The applicant must have has spent a continuous period of 5 years in the UK as a representative of an overseas business or in one of the predecessor categories of overseas media representative or sole representative
They must meet the requirements of a representative of an overseas business throughout the 5 year period and has to provide evidence for the last 5 years. In addition, evidence must be provided to show they have established a branch registered as a UK establishment or subsidiary and generated business: their employer must still be actively trading and remain centred overseas.
The applicant must produce a letter from their employer which certifies they are still needed to do the job they were first granted leave and can demonstrate knowledge of English language and life in the UK, unless they are exempt
If you are looking to apply for a sole representative visa contact www.visaandmigration.com
or call +44(0)2034111261