uk visa enquiry

Seven-year child route – Appendix Private Life

The Appendix Private Life route is based on individuals who have developed personal life in the UK. Seven-year child route is for a child who was born in the UK and has lived seven years continuously in the UK to qualify for an immediate settlement.

Changes to the 7-year-child route

Before new changes took place, a child born in the UK and has lived continuously for seven years in the UK could apply immediately for limited leave to remain. However, with new changes taking effect “appendix private life” on 20 th June 2022, children born in the UK who have lived seven years continuously in the UK would now be eligible for an immediate settlement, i.e. indefinite leave to remain.

Another change is that a person who came to the UK as a child and had been continuously resident here for seven years and gained permission to remain based on their private life can now apply for settlement after five years. Young adults aged between 18 and 25 years who arrived in the UK as children must have spent half of their life in the UK to be eligible for settlement.

If a child was born outside the UK but has lived in the UK continuously for seven years will now be able to apply for settlement after five years instead of 10 years, as is the case at present, however, the applicant must prove that it would not be reasonable to expect the child to leave the UK.

Requirement for a 7-year child private life route to ILR

The applicant for the seven-year private life route to ILR or Indefinite leave to remain as a child must meet the following requirements:

1. They must meet the continuous residence requirement. To meet the continuous living requirement:
   a. The applicant must have been born in the UK, is under the age of 18 years and lived continuously for seven years in the UK;
   b. It will not be reasonable to expect the child to leave the UK; or
   c. The applicant came to the UK as a child - and

  • was first given a visa on the basis of a private life when aged between 18 and 24;
  •  have lived in the UK for five continuous years with a visa

The reasonability test whether the child would be able to leave the UK or not is based on –

  •  How old is the child;
  •  what ties the child has to the UK;
  • what relationships like family and friends whose lives are established in the UK;
  • If the parent are not settled, generally the child would be expected to leave the UK with – it is normally in the best interests of the child for the family to remain together, unless there are other considerations for the child’s best interest;
  • Whether the child have family and friends in their country of return to;
  • whether the child has ever visited the country of return and for how long and when

Such questions are relevant when the Home Office will consider whether it is reasonable for the child to leave the UK or not?

2. The applicant must be the child of a parent where he/she has permission on the Private Life route; or he/she is, at the same time, applying for (and is granted) permission on the Private Life route; or he/she is settled or has become a British citizen, providing he/she had approval on the Private Life route when they settled, and the applicant was born before their parent settled. The applicant’s other parent also must have permission to stay in the UK on a valid visa other than a visitor visa.
3. They must pass the “Life in the UK” test if they are aged between 18 and 64
4. They must meet the English language requirement: Applicants can meet this requirement by having a degree in English language or an English language qualification of CEFR level B1 in speaking andlistening.

British citizenship

Irrespective of the fact whether a child was born inside or outside of the UK, they will be able to register as a British citizen after 12 months of obtaining their ILR status.
If you are looking for professional advice or representation of your application, please contact Visa and Migration Ltd on 02034111261 or email us –


about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.