uk visa enquiry

Representative of Overseas Business

The UK is an excellent destination for businesses. If you also wish to set up a branch or register your business in the UK, you can do so. If you are a senior team member of a non-UK company or a sole representative of a non-UK company, you can apply for a Sole Representative visa to come to the UK to set up a UK branch or wholly-owned subsidiary. You can also apply for a Sole Representative visa if you are an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency, or broadcasting organization and you are being posted to the UK on a long-term assignment.


To be eligible to apply for a Sole Representative visa of overseas business to the UK, you need to meet the following conditions: 1. You must be able to support yourself financially without seeking public funds; 2. You must meet the English language requirement. You may have to prove your knowledge of the English language by either passing an approved English language test or having an academic qualification taught in English language is equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree, master degree or PhD; 3. You must be recruited and work outside the UK. The active and trading a business that employs you must have its headquarter and principal place of business outside the UK, and it will remain outside the UK in the future as well. 4. You must have the necessary skills, experience, and knowledge to perform the role assigned to you. 5. Your position in the business must be of a senior rank with full authority to make decisions on its behalf. However, you should not own or control the majority of the company. 6. Your intention must be to set up the first commercial presence in the UK of the overseas business by setting up a branch or a wholly-owned subsidiary.

Documents to be submitted

When you apply for a UK Sole representative visa, you need to submit the following documents:
  • Your current passport or a valid travel ID.
  • Proof such as a bank statement or salary slip for the last six months to establish that you can support yourself financially.
  • Proof of knowledge of the English language.
  • If you apply from outside the UK, you need to submit your accommodation details during your stay in the UK. Also, if you come from a country where taking a Tuberculosis test is mandatory, you need to submit your TB test's result.
If any of your documents are not in English or Wales, you need to submit a certified translation copy. You also need to submit other documents that define your role, position etc. You need to submit the following:
  • A complete description of the business tells the business's activities, assets, and accounts.
  • A letter that confirms that the overseas business will set up a branch or wholly-owned subsidiary in the UK in the same business activity run overseas.
  • Your job description, job contract, and salary details.
  • Proof in the form of a letter confirming that you are familiar with the business and have operational decision-making powers. If you are representing a newspaper news agency or broadcasting organization, you need to submit evidence to confirm that you will be representing them in the UK on a long-term basis.

How long can you stay?

You can stay for an initial period of 3 years on a UK sole representative visa, after which you can apply for two-year extension. If you are looking for representations you can get a free assessment from one of our lawyers at Visa and Migration Ltd. You can call 02034111261 or email

about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.