uk visa enquiry

PBS Dependent Visa

If you are a dependent family member of someone who already has or is in the process of having a UK visa under the point-based system (PBS), you can apply for PBS dependent visa to enter and remain in the UK with them. PBS-dependent visas under point based system route are one of the following:

 Skilled Worker
 Student
 Global Talent
 Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)
 High Potential Individual
 Innovator
 Start-up
 Scale-up
 Temporary Work routes include:
o Creative Worker
o Religious Worker
o Charity Worker
o Government Authorized Exchange
o International Agreement


Who Can Apply for a PBS Dependent Visa?

You must be a dependent family member of a migrant who is already in the UK or applying for a UK visa under the point-based system. The immigration rules define a ‘dependent’ who is one of the following:

 Husband, wife, or civil partner
 Unmarried or same-sex partner
 Children aged under 18 years at the time of application who were born outside the UK
 Children aged under 18 years at the time of application who were born in the UK during the qualifying PBS migrants’ stay in the UK
 Children aged above 18 years who are already in the UK as the qualifying parent’s dependent and not living an independent life


PBS Dependent Visa Financial Requirements

Meeting the financial requirement is the key to a successful PBS-dependent visa application. Dependent applicants need to show that they have the required maintenance fund for themselves and their dependent children (if any). You or your partner, or your child needs to meet the following threshold:

· £285 for your partner

· £315 for one child

· £200 for each additional child

The amount changes for Student which depends according to the place of study. Thus, if your partner and one child are applying to join you in the UK, you or your partner or your child would need to have £285 (for your partner) plus £315 (for your one child), which is equal to £600.
If you are also applying with your partner and child, you also need to have £1,270 available to support yourself for your application. The money available must be for at least 28 days in a row, and day 28 must be within 31 days of you or your partner and/or child or children applying for the visa.

Documents Required for PBS Dependent Visa

You must be ready with the following documents when applying for a PBS-dependent visa:

 Valid passport of the applicant(s)
 Marriage certificate if you and your partner are married and Evidence of civil partnershipor same-sex relationship if you are an unmarried partner (like joint accounts, jointly owned properties, and utility bills)
 Birth certificate if you are a child
 Personal bank statements
 Tuberculosis test results if come from a country where taking TB test is mandatory
 Criminal record certificate
 Admission letter from school if you are a child, and in the UK
 Proof of the payment of the health insurance surcharge


Proving the identity if applying from outside the UK

If you are applying from outside the UK to join your partner in the UK, you and your child (if any) need to prove your identity in one of the following ways:

 You and your children can have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application center to get a biometric residence permit or
 You and your children can use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document. To use this app, you and your children need to create or sign in to your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account.

After this, you can follow the steps as directed by the Home Office. It usually takes three weeks to receive a reply.


Applying for PBS dependent visa from within the UK

If you are already in the UK, you can apply to switch to PBS dependent visa. However, your visa will still be valid until its original end date. Thus, you can apply at the same time when your
partner (the principal applicant) is applying or before your current visa expires. This includes children who have turned 18 during your stay.

Should you need professional assistance with your application, please contact Visa and Migration Ltd on +44 (0)2034111261 or email us on

You can also follow us on social media 






about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.