uk visa enquiry

Partner visa UK – Who Qualifies

A UK partner visa is a type of family visa and is covered under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. The rules allow a non-British national to join their spouse, civil partner, fiance or defacto partner in the UK.  

Once the Home Office in the UK grants permission to you through its decision on your UK partner visa application, you can come and live with your spouse, partner, fiancé or cohabiting partner in the UK who is a British national or has settled status in the UK. 
A UK Partner visa allows you to join your partner based on an individual's right under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights to respect private and family life. Your partner in the UK must sponsor you to bring you to the UK. So, you will be an applicant, and your partner in the UK will be a sponsor in this case. 

Who qualifies for a UK Partner visa? 

You and your partner need to meet eligibility and suitability requirements to qualify for a UK partner visa. 

Your partner must be one of the following: 

  1. 18 or over in age; 

  1. A British citizen; 

  1. Present and settled in the UK, which means they should be in the UK with indefinite leave to remain or have EU settled status, pre settled status, refugee or be granted humanitarian protection or has proof of permanent residence or Irish national who started living in the UK before 31 December 2020 


Qualification requirement for an applicant for a UK partner visa 

You, as an applicant, must prove the following to qualify for a UK partner visa. 

  1. You are 18 or over in age; 

  1. You are in a civil partnership (Civil Partnership Act 2004) or marriage that is recognized in the UK; 

  1. You and your partner must have been living together in a relationship for at least two years before the date of your application; 

  1. If not a spouse, you must either be a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner and in such a situation, you must prove that you and your partner intend to get married or enter into a civil partnership within six months of your arrival in the UK. You also must prove in this case that any previous marriage or civil partnership you were in has ended; 


  1. You should meet the English language requirement  


  1. You can support yourself and dependents (if any) financially without seeking public funds. 


If you fail to meet these conditions, you may still qualify to apply for or extend a UK partner visa if the following are proved to be true: 

  1. If you have a child in the UK who is either a British or Irish citizen and he/she has lived in the UK for seven years or more, and now it would be unreasonable for your child to leave the UK;  


  1. You and your partner have lived in the UK together as a couple, and now if you are asked to leave the UK, it would cause very significant difficulties for you and your partner 


  1. It is a breach of human rights to stop you from coming to the UK (Exceptional Circumstances) 


Should you wish to apply for a UK Partner Visa you can call Visa and Migration Ltd on 02034111261 to discuss your application. Visa and Migration Ltd is a fee charging organisation.  



about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.