uk visa enquiry

Partner and Spouse Visa Requirements

Partner or Spouse visa is a visa type under the UK Family Visa category. One can apply for a Spouse or Partner visa to join their partner in the UK. Applicants must have a genuine relationship with their UK partners. To apply as a partner or spouse, you and your partner both need to be 18 or over.

Who can be your partner in the UK?

The first thing is that you can be a partner if you are a spouse, civil partner and fiance, proposed civil partner of a British citizen, or someone with settled status in the UK. Your partner must be one of the following:
  • A British citizen;
  • Settled in the UK. For example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence;
  • In the UK, having a refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK;
  • If they are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, they must have a pre-settled status which means they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021; and
  • Having a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa

Partner and Spouse visa requirements

To apply as a partner or spouse, you need to meet the following conditions: 1. You and your partner both must be aged 18 or over; 2. You are married to or in a civil partnership, unmarried partner, and or a fiancé; 3. Your relationship must be genuine and subsisting 4. You must intend to live together permanently in the UK 5. You and your partner must be able to show that you can be supported financially without seeking public funds. The minimum income per annum threshold is £18,600. If you have a child as a dependent, then the minimum Please note – the income requirement per annum increases by £3,800 for first child and £2,400 extra for each additional child. These do not apply if the children are British. You can rely on several different sources of income such as salary from employment or income from self-employment or non-work income such as rents from the property, cash savings greater than £16,000, maternity pay, and pensions. You will be exempt from meeting the financial requirement if your partner in the UK is a recipient of specified benefits or allowance. 6. If you or your partner was in any previous relationship, it must have broken down permanently. 7. There must be adequate accommodation for you and your partner to live in the UK. 8. You must meet the English language requirement. If you are looking for representation of your application under this route you can call our team of lawyers at Visa and Migration Ltd on 02034111261 or email us at
You can also follow us on social media Facebook: Twitter: LinkedIn: YouTube:

about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.