uk visa enquiry

How to Switch from a Fiancé Visa to a Marriage Visa

If you want to switch from a UK fiancé visa to a marriage visa or spouse visa, you must apply for it before your fiancé visa expires. Once you are granted a marriage or spouse visa you can live up to 30 months in the UK after which you can apply for an extension for 30 months.
A UK marriage or UK spouse visa allows you to live, study, and work in the UK. After living continuously in the UK for 5 years on a marriage visa, you become eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK.


What is required for Switching from a Fiancé Visa to a Marriage Visa?

You should apply to switch to marriage visa before your fiancé visa expires. If your fiancé visa is about to expire and you still have not married your partner in the UK but you are certain of getting married to your partner in the next 6 months you can apply to extend your stay for a further 6 months. You must provide a good reason why you have not married so far and also the evidence that a marriage ceremony will take place within the next 6 months.
You can apply to switch to a marriage visa any time after you have married and received your marriage certificate. You must meet the eligibility requirements for a UK marriage visa which are the following:

 You and your partner must be over the age of 18;
 Your partner must be one of the following:
 a British or Irish,
 settled in the UK,
 one with a pre-settled status,
 holding a Turkish Businessperson or Turkish Worker visa or
 One who has refugee status or humanitarian protection;
 You must hold a valid UK fiancé visa and not have breached any of the conditions associated with your entry clearance;
 You and your partner must not be within a prohibited degree of relationship;
 You and your partner must have met in person;
 You and your partner must be legally married and the marriage must be recognized in the UK;
 Your relationship must be genuine and subsisting;
 You and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK;
 Any previous relationship has broken down permanently;
 You must meet the financial requirements;
 You must meet the adequate accommodation requirement for you and any dependents;
 You must meet the English language requirements;
 You must be of good character.


How to switch?

You must apply online through the UK Government website.

Follow the below steps to apply to switch to a marriage visa:
1. Fill out the online application form on the UK Government website
2. Pay any application fee and IHS Fee
3. Book an appointment with a UKVCAS service center
4. Upload all the documents; and
5. Attend your UKVCAS appointment to get your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) taken there


Paying the Fee 

You need to pay the fee for an application to switch from a UK fiancé visa to a marriage visa. The application fee currently is £1048 and the Immigration Health Surcharge is £1560.
Kindly note that the UK Government intends to increase the Immigration Health Surcharge in January 2024

If you are looking for representation on your application, please contact Visa and Migration Ltd on 02034111261 or WhatsApp 07587878786

You can also follow us on social media 






about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.