uk visa enquiry

How to meet UK Fiancé Visa requirements

A UK Fiance Visa allows a non-British individual engaged with a partner who is one of the following to join them and live with them in the UK. 

  • A British or Irish Citizen 

  • One with settled status, such as indefinite leave to remain in the UK 

  • Is from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein and has been granted pre-settled status 

  • One with a Turkish Businessperson visa or a Turkish worker visa 

  • One who has refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK   

UK Fiancé visa does not lead to settlement in the UK, but once you get married to your partner in the UK, you can apply for a UK spouse visa from within the UK which then can make you eligible for an ILR application after five years. 


UK Fiancé visa requirements 

You and your partner must meet the following requirements for you to be eligible to apply for a UK Fiancé Visa: 

  • Your partner is British or Irish or settled in the UK or from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein and has been granted or holds a Turkish Businessperson or Turkish Worker visa or has refugee status or humanitarian protection; 

  • You are both over the age of 18; 

  • You have met in person; 

  • Your relationship is genuine and subsisting; 

  • You intend to marry or become civil partners within six months of your arrival in the UK; 

  • Any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended permanently; 

  • You intend to live together permanently in the UK; 

  • You and/or your partner are financially equipped to maintain both of you and your dependents (if any) in the UK without recourse to public funds; 

  • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents; 

  • You speak and understand English to the required level. 


How to meet the UK Fiancé Visa requirements 

There are four major requirements to be proved here: 

  1. Relationship requirement 

You need to demonstrate that you and you and your fiancé have met in person, you are in a genuine and subsisting relationship, any previous marriages or civil partnerships you and/or your fiancé were in have broken permanently, you intend to live together permanently together in the UK, and you will marry within six months of your arrival in the UK. Though the UKVI ascribes no mandatory documents, you must submit sufficient evidence to prove that your relationship with your fiancé is genuine and subsisting. UKVI will explain the documents you need to submit depending on your circumstances. You can submit the following documents: 

  • Bank statements of joint accounts 

  • Documents such as tenancy agreements and utility bills showing details of accommodation in which you have lived together or paid bills together 

  • Birth certificates of children, in case you have had any together 

  • Divorce certificates to show that previous marriage (if there was one) has broken permanently 

  • Reference letters from family, friends, and professional people who can vouch for a genuine relationship between you and your fiancé 

  • A letter from you, a close friend, or a family member giving details of your relationship and confirming the genuinity.  


2. Financial requirement 

  The financial requirement means that you must prove to the Home Office that you and/or your fiancé have enough annual Income and/or savings to support both your dependents (if any) without seeking public funds. The minimum annual income requirement is £18,600, and you need an additional income of £3,800 per year if you have one child and £2,400 in addition to £18,600 and £3,800 for each child after your first. 

What counts as Income? 

· Income from employment before tax and National Insurance   

· Income you earn from self-employment or as a director of a limited company in the UK 

· Cash savings above £16,000 

· Money from a pension 

· Non-work Income, for example, from property rentals or dividends 

If you have Income from self-employment or employment, you’ll need to prove you or your partner received that Income for six months or more. 

Depending on your circumstances, you may rely on a combination of Income mentioned here. 

Documents to prove that you meet the financial requirement 

· Bank statements showing you or your partner’s Income 

· six months of pay slips 

· A letter from an employer showing details of your employment, job position, duration of employment, etc. 


3. Accommodation requirement 

You must prove that there will be suitable accommodation for you, your fiancé, and your dependent children (if any). The property must be exclusively owned or occupied and must not be overcrowded or contravene public health regulations. 

You can submit the following documents as evidence: 

  • Copy of the title deeds and proof of mortgage arrangements; 

  • Tenancy agreement; 

​4. English Language requirement 

Unless exempt, you must prove that you meet the English language requirement. You can prove it through an academic qualification or by taking a test. 

If you are required to take the English language test, you must pass at least level A1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale. 

  Please note – the documents listed in this blog are general and the documents may vary according to the circumstances of an applicant. For professional advice on a fiancé visa you can contact us on 02034111261 or email  


about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.