uk visa enquiry

How to Apply for a UK Fiance Visa and Necessary Documents

If you want to join your partner in the UK who is a British Citizen or holding ILR, you can apply for UK Fiancé Visa. This also means that if you are planning to marry your partner in the UK who is a British citizen or a permanent resident in the UK, you can apply for UK Fiancé Visa. This falls under the settlement category of visas. You can only apply from outside the UK.

Eligibility conditions for a fiancé visa

You must meet the following conditions to successfully fiancé visa application-

  • You must have met in person;
  • The applicant and the sponsor must intend to get married within a 6 month period;
  • You are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or one permanently settled in the UK and you will marry or enter into a civil partnership within 6 months of arriving in the UK;
  • Both partners must intend to live together permanently;
  • If you were in any previous marriage or civil partnership then you must prove that it has ended;
  • You cannot access public funds in the UK so he/she must be able to support him/herself, or be supported by their partner;
  • Prove your relationship is genuine and subsisting;
  • Adequate accommodation must be there; and
  • You must fulfil the English language requirement

So, if you meet the above-mentioned conditions you are eligible to apply.

How to apply?

You must apply online. You need to pay the required fee as part of the application. Once your application is successful you are granted a 6-month visa in which you can come to the UK and get married to your partner. You are not allowed to work when you are in the UK on this visa. You must apply for a marriage visa once married. If your application is successful then you can live in the UK for a total of 60 months or 5 years, where you need to renew your visa at 33 months before you become eligible to apply for ILR. You can apply to live permanently in the UK known as indefinite leave to remain after you have lived in the UK for 5 years with leave to remain in the UK as a partner of a British citizen. Here you cannot count anytime you spent with permission to stay in the UK as a fiancé or a proposed civil partner.

Required documents

You need to submit the following documents with your application:

  • UKVI Visa Application form;
  • Your current passport;
  • Any previous visa if you held;
  • Bank statements;
  • Proof for financials requirement is met;
  • Your UK partner’s address proof where you intend to live;
  • Proof of intent to marry;
  • Proof of relationship;
  • Proof of English Language;
  • TB test – according to the country of residence

The above list is not exhaustive and documents change according to circumstances of the applicant. You may require to submit additional documents and so you are advised to take expert’s guidance on this before your application. If you are looking support in connection with your fiancé visa contact Visa and Migration Ltd on 02034111261.


about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.