UK visit visa or Standard visitor visa is for those who wish to come to the UK for a short duration for up to 6 months. The purpose of the visit can be a holiday, visiting family members, medical treatment, or any other reason such as business, study, or work. Earlier there were different visa categories for each of these purposes but now all short term visas such as Family visitor visa, Child visitor visa, General visitor visa and Sports visitor visa have been replaced by a single UK visit visa.
How to apply for the UK visit visa?
You must apply from outside the UK. You must apply online. Here is the stepwise process of making an application for the UK visit visa.
1. Check if you meet the eligibility conditions.
2. Fill in the online application form.
3. Submit the required documents.
4. Fix an appointment at a visa application Centre.
5. Go for the visa interview.
You need to know that for any purpose such as family visit, holiday, medical treatment you can apply for the UK visit visa for a stay of up to 6 months in the UK. However, if you want to join your married or unmarried or civil partner in the UK who is a British citizen or has a settled status there you need to apply for a UK family visa.
Eligibility for the UK visit visa
If you are going to apply for the UK visit visa you need to meet the following eligibility conditions:
- You need to show that you will leave the UK immediately after your valid period of stay in the UK gets over. For example a return flight ticket.
- Proof of income or savings to prove that you will be able to support yourself financially during your stay in the UK.
- You have money to pay for your return or onward journey and other costs related to your journey.
- Proof of work or study or treatment that you are going to the UK.
Information and documents you need to provide
When you are filing an online application form you are required to submit personal information as part of it. This personal information includes the following:
- Your name and surname
- Your nationality
- The country of your residence
- Your marital status
- Your passport number
- Your contact numbers
- Reason for your visit to the UK
- Other information.
You need to submit the following documents when applying for the UK visit visa.
Documents are quite important to submit and they must be in the appropriate format as well. Below is the list of documents that you need to submit when you apply for the UK visit visa.
- A valid travel document such as your current passport or any other valid travel id.
- A blank page in your passport.
- Financial documents such as bank statements to prove that you have enough money to support yourself financially during your stay in the UK.
- Proof of your legal residence in your country such as your voter id.
- If you are going to the UK for medical treatment, then you need to submit your medical records and doctor’s prescriptions.
- If you are going to the UK to study or a job, then you need to submit a letter from your education provider and a letter from your employer.
- If you have any document that is not in English or Welsh language then you need to get the certified translation copy of such documents.
You may have to submit additional documents depending upon your situation. For example, if you are going to the UK to donate your organ to your family member, you are going to the UK for the study of up to 12 months etc. you need to submit the related documents.
Fix an appointment at a visa application Centre
When you are filling up an online application form, you can schedule an appointment at a visa application Centre in your country.
Go for the interview
You need to be present on a visa application Centre on the date you fixed an appointment at. You will be interviewed by an officer there. Once you qualify the interview you can get the UK visitor visa to visit the UK.
Help from Visa & Migration
If you are not clear about anything you must seek the help of a professional agency like Visa & Migration which has an excellent track record of providing all kinds of support to make a successful UK visit visa application. You can call us or write to us anytime for any kind of visa and immigration support.
You can also follow us on social media