Family members of HM Forces

The British Armed Forces are also known as HM (Her Majesty’s) Armed Forces. HM Forces are the military services responsible for defending the UK, its overseas territories, and the Crown dependencies. HM forces include the Royal Navy, the British Army, and the Royal Air Force.

HM Forces are exempt from immigration control

Serving members of HM forces are free from immigration control. One in HM forces can seek to enlist in an appropriate department in the HM forces, and once enlisted, they are entitled to get their passport stamped accordingly to confirm their freedom from immigration restrictions while serving.

Family members of HM forces

Family members of HM forces such as spouses, civil partners, children can enter the UK to settle. They need to be sponsored by HM forces personnel who would be the army personnel listed under HM Armed forces or discharged.

Who is a Family member

The spouse
Civil partner
Proposed civil partner
Unmarried partners
Children below 18 and dependent children over the age of 18.

Visas to enter the UK for family members

Family members of HM forces are not exempt from immigration control. They can apply for leave to enter, remain in the UK if they meet the following eligibility requirements.

  • The sponsor is a member of the HM forces;
  • You are your sponsor above 18;
  • You are married, or a civil partner or fiance or proposed civil partner of
    the sponsor, or you have been living together in a relationship for a
    minimum of 2 years at some point before making an application;
  • Your relationship should be genuine and subsisting;
  • You meet the minimum income requirement. It would be best if you
    showed that your annual income is at least £18,600. If you are bringing
    children also, then for the first child, £3,800 additional annual income is
    mandatory, while for the second child onwards, £2,400 per child is
  • You must meet the adequate accommodation requirement for the whole
  • You must meet the English language knowledge requirement.

How to apply for the visa?

If you are applying for the first time, you need to apply for limited leave to enter using an online form. You need to select ‘Join or accompany a family member’ and select ‘A current or former member of UK Armed forces’.

Supporting documents

You need to submit the following documents when you are applying to join one who is a current or former member of HM forces.
1. Evidence to show that you meet the minimum income requirement such as payslips, bank statements. A letter from the employer who issued the
payslips etc.
2. Evidence to show that you have adequate accommodation in the UK, such
as a letter of allocation of quarters.
3. Evidence of marriage if you are married to a member of HM forces. A
recognised certificate is all that is required to prove this.
4. Evidence of knowledge of the English language.

Should you need professional representations in applying as a family member of HM forces you can contact Visa and Migration Ltd on 02034111261 for a free consultation.

You can also follow us on social media





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *