uk visa enquiry

EEA Family Members After Brexit

The Brexit Date is set for 31st December 2020. Brexit is when the UK leaves the EU with or without a deal. If a deal happens it has to pass through Parliament but if no deal is passed the default position in that situation is that the UK would leave the EU without a deal. With the recent victory of Boris Johnson, it is quite likely that a deal will be passed. However, whether a deal is passed or not passed what happens to an EEA national living in the UK and what happens to their family members is a question.

Settlement scheme for EEA nationals
The new laws for EU national under Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules.

Settled Status & Pre-settled status

Settled status means you have permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain in the UK. With settled status, you become an ordinary resident in the UK. There will be no immigration restriction on the length of time you stay in the UK. Those EEA nationals who have been in the UK for 5 years or more can apply for settled status. Pre-settled status is for those EEA nationals who came to the UK before 31st December 2020 and have not completed 5 years of continuous residence in the UK. They can apply for pre-settled status that will enable them to stay in the UK until they complete 5 years here, after which they will be eligible to apply for settled status.

EEA Family Members after Brexit

Now, the question is what about non-EEA family members who wish to come to the UK to join their family member who is an EEA national? Will they still be able to apply for an EEA family permit? The answer is NO. The EEA family members will need to apply under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules and will need to meet the financial requirement. Should you wish to apply using our professional advice please complete the contact us form....

about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.