There are various reasons why you need to visit UK for a short period of time. It can be for work or business, for travel, for leisure or to see your family etc. For all such purposes there is now UK Standard Visitor Visa which has replaced several old visas which include Business visitor visa, Family visitor visa, General visitor visa, Child Visitor visa, Sports visitor visa and so on. So, you can apply to visit UK for short period of 6 months for these purposes and as mentioned one of them is for short term business assignments in the UK.
You can apply for a UK standard visitor visa to visit UK for business assignments or activities. These assignments can be following:
- It can be for a conference, meeting or training in UK.
- To participate in a specific sports-related event.
- Coming to the UK to perform as an artist, entertainer or musician.
- As an academic doing a research or accompanying students on a study abroad program.
- As a doctor or dentist coming to the UK to take a clinical attachment or observer post.
- Looking to take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or looking to sit in the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE).
- Looking to get funding for business activities like to start, take over, join or run a business in the UK.
So, if you are looking to come to UK for any of these business activities then you can apply for UK standard visitor visa. Now you must meet some eligibility requirements to apply successfully. Eligibility required is as following:
- Applicants must show a proof as part of the application that they will undertake permissible business activities when they are in UK.
- Applicants must show that they intend to live in UK for no longer than 6 months.
- They must show that they will leave the UK at the end of their visit.
- Applicants will be able to support themselves along with the dependents during the visit.
- Applicant need to show that they are able to pay for return journey and other related costs.
Can and Can’t
Once you meet the eligibility requirements you need to know what you can do during your visit to UK and what you can’t do. So, you can take part in any permissible business activities and study for up to 30 days if it is not the main reason for your visit. What you can’t do is that you can’t do a paid or unpaid work during your visit. You can’t get public funds and also you can’t marry or register a civil partnership or give a notice of marriage or civil partnership. You can’t live in UK for long periods through frequent visits also.
The earliest you can apply for the UK standard visitor visa is 3 months before the intended travel date. You need to pay an application fee. During your visit you can stay in UK for not more than 6 months. After the application you should get a decision within 3 weeks. If you get your decision on your application as successful then you will be granted business visitor visa for up to 6 months but if you need you may apply for extension up to another 6 months.