Indefinite leave to remain is an immigration status that allows you to stay in the UK indefinitely without restrictions and immigration control. Migrants to the UK aim for ILR. ILR gives you a settled status in the UK. You can enter and stay in the UK on one of the many visa categories such as spouse visa, skilled worker, etc. and after you have lived in the UK for five years, you can apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK.
After receiving ILR you should not be absent from the UK for more than two years at a time. After having ILR for 12 months in most cases, you can apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen provided you meet the requirements of the British Nationality Act 1981.
Who can apply for indefinite leave to remain after five years?
Those professionals, representatives, families etc., on the following visa categories in the UK, can apply for indefinite leave to remain after five years.
- Spouse visa
- Unmarried partner visa
- EEA family permit
- UK Ancestry visa
- Investor visa
- Entrepreneur visa
- Skilled worker visa
- PSB visa dependents
Eligibility for ILR
1. You do not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal or the suitability requirements.
2. You must meet the continuous lawful residence qualifying period.
3. You must meet the English language requirement.
4. You must have sufficient knowledge of Life in the UK bypassing the life in the UK test;
5. No more than for 180 days absences in a consecutive 12 month period; and
5. You meet the requirements of the relevant Immigration Rules for the category you apply under
Documents to be submitted
Generally you are required to submit the following documents with your online application.
1. Your current valid passport;
2. All passports or travel documents that you have held during the 5 years period;
3. Proof of your income in the form of wage slips and bank statements;
4. Your certificate of Life in the UK test;
5. Proof of knowledge of English. It would be best if you had an English test certificate or qualification above the CEFR Level B1.
6. Evidence of any absence from the UK.
When should you apply?
You can apply 28 days before the end of your five years of residence on your visa. You must apply before your visa expires.
If you want to apply for your Indefinite Leave To Remain, you can contact or team of experts on 02034111261 or email us at – email@example.com