uk visa enquiry

A Guide to the UK Registration Certificate

In this guide, we outline the rules and regulations around UK registration certifications - documentation that confirms your residence status in the UK - including how to apply and how to include extended family members as part of your application.

What is a UK registration certificate?

A Registration Certificate is a document which confirms your residence status in UK and this is required for those who are considered a qualified person or are an extended family member of a qualified person. All European Economic Area (EEA) nationals - as well as nationals of Switzerland - are considered ‘qualified’ persons. For those who already have registration certificates, these will not be valid after 31st December 2020. Those wishing to continue living in the UK after June 2021 can apply for 'Settled Status', along with their family members. If you are not an EEA national, further requirements need to be met in order to be considered a qualified person; you need to be exercising your EU treaty rights to live in the UK, and need to submit proof. This generally means the following:
  1. You are working in the UK
  2. You are studying in the UK
  3. You are self-employed in the UK
  4. You are self-sufficient
  5. You are looking for work in the UK

Applying for a UK registration certificate

If you are a qualified person, you can apply for UK registration certificate online. Online application forms can be downloaded from the UK Border Agency (UKBA) website. Family members of the main applicant can also use this form to obtain a registration certificate. However, students or a self-sufficient person cannot use the online service in cases where they are dependent on a family member for their financial support or they are financially responsible for any of their family members. Along with the form, you must also submit the following documents as well:
  1. Your original passport or identity card.
  2. Documents which prove that you are living in the UK under EU legal rights; these documents should work as a proof that you are employed, self-employed or studying in the UK.
  3. Marriage, civil partnership or birth certificates to prove the family relationship between all applicants. For your family members, you can supply other documents. These documents should prove that they are in a long-term relationship and they live together; examples would be documents like joint utility bills, bank account statements or tenancy agreements.
  4. Two passport photographs, for each applicant included on the form.

How can extended family members apply for a UK registration certificate?

The following are considered extended family members of the qualified person:
  • Sister or brother
  • Cousin
  • Uncle or aunt
  • Nephew or niece
  • Relative from a different generation; for example, a great-aunt, great-nephew or second cousin
  • A relative by marriage
  • An unmarried partner in a lasting relationship
Aside from the above, an extended family member must also be one or more of the following:
  • They must be dependent on the qualified person before coming to the UK.
  • They must be living in the same house as the qualified person before coming to the UK.
  • After coming to the UK, they must either continue to be dependent on them or live in the same house as them in the UK.
  • They must be taken care of by the qualified person for they have a serious medical condition.
A qualified person applying online can add an extended family member to their application. The completed form must be sent to the Home Office; the address is provided on the form itself....

about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.