uk visa enquiry

7 Year Parent of a Child

If you are in the UK and you have a child who has lived here for 7 years continuously, you can apply for a Parent Visa if you are going to take care of your child. You can apply for a UK parent visa if your child has lived 7 years in the UK to the point that it would be unreasonable for your child to leave the UK and this will be decided by the Home Office.   
Your child must be under 18 on the date you apply for the visa or have been under 18 when you were first granted leave to enter or remain in the UK.

Your child must also:

  • Live with you. However, they can live away from you if they are living for their full-time education at a boarding school or University;
  • Not be married or in a civil partnership; and
  • Not leading independent life

If your child is not a British citizen and he/she has not lived in the UK for 7 years continuously and doesn’t meet the above criteria, as a parent you may still argue based on “Article 8 Human Rights” and Best Interest of the child under Section 55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009.


Eligibility for 7 Year Parent of a Child

You can apply for a UK Parent Visa if you meet the following requirements:

  •  You must have the sole responsibility for your child which means that the child’s other parent is not involved in their life;
  • Your child must normally live with you;
  • You must have direct access (in person) rights to your child;
  • You are playing an active role and will continue to play an active role in your child’s upbringing after you apply;
  •  You must have good knowledge of the English language;
  • You must be able to financially support yourself without accessing public funds; and
  • It is not reasonable for the child to leave the UK

Prove that you are Playing an Active Role and will continue to play an Active Role in Your Child’s Upbringing 

You can produce the following evidence:

  • One coming from the Government, school, court, or a medical professional
  • That you live with or care for your child already
  • That is less than 4 years old

To substantiate the above, you can use the following:

  • A letter from your child’s school confirming you take them to school or go to parent evenings
  • A letter to your address from the local authority confirming your child’s school
  • A letter from your child’s doctor, dentist, or health visitor confirming that you take them to appointments
  • Court order paperwork confirming that your child lives with you or that you are taking an active role in their upbringing. You need to get court permission to use court order paperwork.


How long can You Stay?

You can stay in the UK for 2 years and 6 months on a UK Parent Visa for a child that has lived 7 years continuously in the UK. After this, you will be required to apply to extend your stay. If you extend your family visa or switch to this visa you can stay in the UK for 2 years and 6 months.
If you are looking to apply for 7 Year Parent of a Child Leave to Remain in the UK as a dependent of a Skilled Worker, please contact one of our lawyers on 02034111261 or email us


about-image about-image about-image about-image about-image
Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.