You can apply to settle in the UK based on long residence. This route was previously known as Long Residence concession, which means that – a person who has lived in the UK for 10 continuous years lawfully can apply to settle in the UK.
Settling in the UK means that you get "indefinite leave to remain" in the UK that allows you to stay in the UK without any time restrictions.
Calculating Continuous residence
Continuous residence is the time that you spend in the UK without breaching immigration restrictions, which means that you have not overstayed in the UK and have been present in the UK lawfully.
The main clauses of continuous residence are –
- You can be out of the UK for up to 180 days at a time and 540 days in total during 10 years;
- Any period spent in prison, young offender institution, secure hospital, Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands cannot be counted while calculating continuous residence;
- The time period of continuous residence for 10 years starts from
- living for 10 years of continuous years in the UK. The starting day for the calculation of 10 years qualifying period happens to be either the date when you arrived in the UK with a visa or the date when you were permitted to stay in the UK.
- The period of pending application or appeal under Section 3C and 3D can be counted as continuous;
- If you went out of the UK with a valid visa and came back with a visa
First, you need to meet the eligibility conditions to apply to settle based on long residence.
The eligibility conditions are the following:
- You must have leave to enter or remain in the UK.
- You must have been lived in the UK lawfully for 10 years.
- You must have maintained the terms of your visa without breaching any immigration law.
- If you are aged 18 to 65 you must pass the Life in the UK test and also prove the English language skills required.
- There should be no reason based on public interest for you to be denied the ILR status.
If you meet the necessary eligibility conditions you can apply to settle in the UK. However, you also need to submit the necessary documents to apply. These documents
that you must submit are the following:
- Your current passport or other valid travel ids.
- Two identical passport size color photographs of yours.
- Your BRP (biometric residence permit), if you hold one.
- All the passports you held during your stay in the UK.
- Other supporting documents depending upon your immigration status.
You should provide all the documents in English or Welsh Language. If any document is not in the English language then you need to submit a certified translation of all such documents.
When to apply
You should apply to settle in the UK based on long residence before your current leave to remain in the UK expires. You only need to meet the eligibility conditions to apply for the ILR. You must be in the UK to make your application.
Expert services for ILR based on 10 years residence
Visa and migration have years of experience in making successful applications for the settlement in the UK on 10 years basis.
We have a successful record of advising our clients for ILR long residence applications. You can also get the best immigration services from us when required....