• +44 (0)20 3411 1261
  • info@visaandmigration.com
uk visa enquiry

Please provide your country code if you are outside UK




See All
OISC Registered
immigration and asylum
ILPA member

European (EEA) & (ECAA)

In this section, you will find information about:

EEA Family and Residence Permit
Ankara Agreement
European Community Association Agreement (ECAA) Turkish Nationals
Exclusion and Removal of EEA Nationals
Derivative Right of Residence
Retained Right of Residence
EU Settled Status
Appendix EU

Who is Eligible for an EEA Family Permit?

If you are from the outside of the European Economic Area but have a family member or extended family member living in the EEA, you can apply for a European Economic Area Family Permit (also known as an ​EEA family permit). This is an immigration document that enables nationals to enter the United Kingdom as a family member of a citizen under the contracting state to the European Economic Area agreement or a Swiss citizen.

What Happens if you are Removed as an EEA National?

If you have entered the UK under an EEA Permit and are found to be breaching the EEA Treaty agreement. If an EEA national is found to be infringing the principle of proportionality, and breaking the general principles of the European Union Law. EEA nationals are at risk of deportation if they have committed a criminal offence in the UK, they risk deportation, under regulation 19 of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006. You can find out more about EEA national UK exclusion rights ​here.

What is the Ankara Agreement?

In layman's terms, the Ankara agreement is an association created between The Republic of Turkey and the European Economic Community, which is also known as the ​ECAA agreement. This agreement permits Turkish nationals to set up businesses or work and attain residency rights in the UK. The treaty was signed in 1963, and was made more flexible in 1973. You can find out more about the Ankara Agreement ​here​.

What is a Derivative Right of Residence?

A ​derivative right of residence applies to those who are primary carers of an EEA child in the UK who is financially independent. This also applies to children of an EEA former worker and currently in education in the UK.

What is a Retained Right of Residence?

If you previously had a right to reside in the UK under an EEA family permit, but your family has broken down, you can apply for a right to retain permanent residence in the UK. Find out more about retained right of residence ​here.

If you’d like more information regarding an application for a EEA Resident Permit, or would like to make an appeal against a EEA permit decision, then do not hesitate to ​get in touch.

Visa and Migration is a private OISC regulated company (F201500999) and is not an official Government body. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the UKVI website.

Quick links


Marco Polo House, 3 - 5 Lansdowne Road, Croydon, Surrey, CR0 2BX
+44 (0)20 3411 1261
+44 (0)20 3761 1901

India Office:
E501 Jagaran Apartments, Dwarka Sector 22, New Delhi, India

Iraq Office:
Nadia Al Said st, Beside the Embassy of Germany, Al Amirat Al-Mansour, Baghdad, Iraq

Our Services